Lars Petersen and Mariett Grab the Grand Prix at IHS Champions Cup CDI-W
RELEASE: March 23, 2013
AUTHOR/ADMINISTRATOR: Sue Weakley for Phelps Media Group, Inc. International
Lars Petersen and Mariett claimed first place in the Grand Prix (Susan J. Stickle)
- Lars Petersen and Mariett are making a habit of winning top honors at the International Horse Sport (IHS) show grounds. This time, the pair clinched today's Grand Prix at the International Horse Sport Champions Cup CDI-W with a 73.745%.
Just two weeks ago, they were double winners in the same venue at the Palm Beach Dressage Derby CDI-W, collecting first place in both the Grand Prix and Grand Prix Freestyle. Denmark's Petersen and Mariett, a 15-year-old bay Danish Warmblood mare owned by Marcia Pepper, also earned fifth place finishes in the Grand Prix and the Grand Prix Freestyle at the World Dressage Masters CDI5* Palm Beach Jan. 23-27.
"It's been a good season," Petersen said. "The mare is getting better and better. She's really coming along. She can be a woman with an opinion sometimes but I really enjoy riding her now. "
Mariett's owner, Marcia Pepper, said she was euphoric. "The winning never gets old," Pepper said. She added that the next step was showing at the Adequan® Global Dressage Wellington CDI5* April 4-7. "After that, we are hoping to have the horse assessed and possibly doing the Danish Championships," she said.
Running true to form, Shelly Francis and Doktor claimed second place in the Grand Prix with a 69.021%. Francis also notched two second-place finishes in the Grand Prix and Freestyle at the Dressage Derby. Doktor, who has been improving steadily throughout the season, is a 10-year-old bay gelding owned by Patricia Stempel.
Canada's Diane Creech and Devon L took the third place slot with a 67.681%. Creech and Devon L, a 13-year-old chestnut Hanoverian gelding owned by Douglas W. Leatherdale, took second place in both the Grand Prix and Grand Prix Freestyle at Wellington Classic Dressage's Sunshine Challenge CDI3* Jan. 23-27.
Susan Jaccoma and Wadamur scored a 66.532% to capture the fourth place ribbon. Just last weekend, she and Wadamur, her own 13-year-old bay Hanoverian gelding, placed second in the Grand Prix Special at the WEF Dressage Classic CDI3*.
Canada's David Marcus rode Don Kontes to score a 65.468% and secure the fifth slot. Marcus, and Don Kontes, a 13-year-old dark bay Swedish Warmblood gelding owned by Deborah Kinzinger, were third in the Grand Prix at the Palm Beach Dressage Derby CDI-W.
Janne Rumbough in her first CDI Grand Prix, took home sixth riding her own Junior, an 11-year-old gray P.R.E. gelding, with a 63.362%. Rumbough, an adult amateur, moved up the ranks with Junior to compete against the professionals today.
"He's not really ready for it because he just started the Grand Prix, but where are you going to get five incredible judges to give an opinion so you can go home and work on it," she asked. "It's just the most wonderful learning experience for him and me." She added that her goal is to go to Devon and this show provides her the chance to help her reach her goal.
Marta Renilla of Spain took home seventh place with a 61.957% in her first outing in the South Florida show circuit this season aboard Presumido, a 10-year-old gray P.R.E. stallion. Renilla traveled from Tomball, TX, a suburb of Houston, to also compete against the top performance riders at the show.
"I know it's a big trip here but I want to see what it's like to compete with the best riders," Renilla said. "I want to see where I stand. For me, competition makes me ride better. That's what I want to see-exactly where I am."
Top scorer for the day was Canada's Chris Sander earning a 77.237% aboard Lyric in Third Level Test 1. "He went in and did his job," she said. She added that last month was the first time the duo had shown at that level and credited her trainer, Lars Petersen, with her performance today. "He is the only reason the horse is going so well," she said.
She explained that she came to the Champions Cup because the showgrounds are beautiful, the judges are world-class and the atmosphere is welcoming. "I love this show," Sander said.
In the FEI Prix St. Georges class, Shelly Francis took the lead aboard Danilo with a 71.360%. "I liked it," she said. "We had a bauble or two but I liked it."
Second place went to 15-year-old Juan Matute, Jr., riding Gasper and earning a 68.640%. Matute said that competing against such a talented group of professionals was inspiring. "It's quite a feeling," he said. "They are riders. Really, really tough riders."
Saturday the IHS Champions Cup features a double-header of Grand Prix classes, with the Special in the morning and the Freestyle in the afternoon. Intermediaire 1 and several Young Rider, Junior Rider, and Pony classes complete the CDI offerings for the day. Spectators are welcome to watch the action at the beautiful IHS Champions Park, located on the Equestrian Estates in Loxahatchee.
I H S Champions Cup CDIW/J/Y/P/U25
Friday March 22, 2013
FEI Grand Prix Open FEI Grand Prix Open CDIW USEF HP GAIG/USDF Qual
1. Lars Petersen - Mariett - 73.745%
2. Shelly Francis - Doktor - 69.021%
3. Diane Creech - Devon L - 67.681%
4. Susan Jaccoma - Wadamur - 66.532%
5. David Marcus - Don Kontes - 65.468%
6. Janne Rumbough - Junior - 63.362%
7. Marta Renilla - Presumido - 61.957%
FEI Prix St Georges CDI1* USEF HP GAIG/USDF Qual
1. Shelly Francis - Danilo - 71.360%
2. Juan Matute - Gasper - 68.640%
3. Melissa Taylor - Chicco Roslev - 67.807%
4. Evi Strasser - Rigaudon Tyme - 64.781%
5. Kristy Truebenbach Lund- Reel Adventure - 63.596%
6. Carmen Elisa Franco - Vinho Dos Pinhas - 59.605%
FEI Young Rider Team (PSG) NAJYRC GAIG/USDF Qual
1. Ally Dunlop - Danero - 63.289%
2. Tanya Strasser- Shostak - Deluxe Tyme - 57.270%
FEI Intermediare II (16-25) U25 GAIG/USDF Qual
1. Cassandra Hummert-Johnson - Plato Carlos - 65.526%
FEI Pony Team Test (2012)
1. Melanie Doughty - Command Performance - 56.513%
USEF Second Level Test of Choice Open GAIG/USDF Q
1. Janne Rumbough -Afilado - 72.619%
USEF Third Level Test 1 Open
1. Chris Sanders - Lyric - 77.237%
2. Maya Markowski - Diego- 71.579%
USEF Third Level Test 1 AA, J/Y
1. Robin B Jaccaci - Snow Dream - 58.816%
USEF Fourth Level Test 1 Open
1. Hans Werner Dressler - Lotario - 60.857%
FEI Prix St Georges Open GAIG/USDF Qualify
1. Diane Creech - Hallmark 3 - 70.263%
2. Raul Corchuelo - Maybach - 66.316%
3. Sara Spofford-Bilinski - Lagrima - 65.921%
4. George Williams - Riccidoff - 65.658%
5. Marco Bernal- Farewell IV- 64.605%
6. Joy Bahniu- Safari-ISF -64.474%
7. Louisa Marcelle Eadie - Baltazar - 61.974%
8. Marta Renilla - Wec's Mistico - 61.842%
9. Jayne Marino - Balmoral - 61.316%
10. Katryna J.T. Evans - Winnie Too - 60.132%
11. Louisa Marcelle Eadie - Odin - 57.237%
FEI or Equivalent Test of Choice Open GAIG/USDF Q
1. Dr. Kim Aikens - Soarin -66.316%
2. Megan Glynn - Tyto - 65.000%
3. Louisa Marcelle Eadie- Roseview's Donna Classica - 60.213%
4. James Koford - Galant - 59.574%