Todd Minikus and Quality Girl Master $33,000 G&C Farm 1.45m Classic at FTI WEF 6
RELEASE: February 14, 2013
AUTHOR/ADMINISTRATOR: Lauren Fisher for Jennifer Wood Media, Inc.
Todd Minikus and Quality Girl (Sportfot)
- The sixth week of competition at the 2013 FTI Consulting Winter Equestrian Festival (FTI WEF) began on Wednesday, February 13, with a full schedule of world-class jumper competition in the International Arena at the Palm Beach International Equestrian Center (PBIEC). In the highlight class of the day, an impressive roster of top riders vied for Longines FEI world ranking points in the $33,000 G&C Farm 1.45m Jumper Classic with a win for Todd Minikus of Loxahatchee, FL, and Quality Girl.
Week six, sponsored by Spy Coast Farm, will run February 13-17. The week will feature three more world ranking classes, including the $50,000 Ruby et Violette WEF Challenge Round 6 on Thursday, February 14, the highlight $125,000 FEI World Cup™ Qualifier CSI 3*-W Grand Prix, presented by Spy Coast Farm, on Saturday, February 16, and the $33,000 Suncast® 1.50m Championship Jumper Classic on Sunday, February 17.
Brazil's Guilherme Jorge set the speed track for 48 entries in Wednesday's 1.45m class. Ten entries completed successful rounds without fault in the race against the clock, and Minikus and Quality Girl came out on top with their time of 54.51 seconds.
Shane Sweetnam and Sweet Oak Farm's Solerina finished second in 56.05 seconds. Peter Wylde and Zidane, owned by Windward Farm and Jessica Suida, were third in 56.68 seconds. Conor Swail and Landsdowne, owned by Ariel and Susan Grange, placed fourth in 57.58 seconds.
Minikus got Quality Girl, a ten-year-old Oldenburg mare by Quidam's Rubin x Dobrock, just before the start of the FTI WEF circuit and has had made consistent development with her showing.
"I think she is a very special horse," Minikus stated. "She is a little green, but she has been working up the ranks quite well; she has gotten herself some nice ribbons. She was fifth in a WEF (Challenge Cup) and she has jumped two Saturday night grand prix (classes). She had four faults in both and to be truthful, they were Todd's four faults. Today she went absolutely fantastic and I think we have some good things to come."
"She is a very careful horse," Minikus added. "She is what I would call a modern day show jumper. She has a lot of blood and she is very aware of her surroundings. She has been great. Right before circuit I showed her in the Level 6 and she won that, then I showed her in the Level 7 and she won that. I showed her in the Level 8, she won that. Some horses are winners, some horses are losers - let's face it - and she just seems to be one of those that has a knack for winning."
Commenting on his winning round in Wednesday's speed class, almost two seconds faster than second place finisher Shane Sweetnam, Minikus detailed, "I caught a nice jump to number one and did eight strides from one to two. Then I don't know how many strides I did the rest of the way around, but she really covers the ground pretty quick. When you are horse racing two seconds is a long time. I really caught a nice track to the last jump and she gave one hell of an effort. Her Purina feed kept her energy level up so that she could have the capability to jump the last jump."
Also showing on Wednesday, the $6,000 Spy Coast Farm 1.40m jump-off class was split into two with its booming list of entries. In section A of the class, Wilton Porter and Sleepy P Ranch LLC's Paloubet were the winners. In section B, Laura Kraut and Joan Kalman/Freedom Group's Woodstock O came out on top. The day continued with the $6,000 Spy Coast Farm speed class and a win for Jeffery Welles aboard Merlin, owned by Noel Love Gross.
Final Results: $33,000 G&C Farm 1.45m Classic
1. QUALITY GIRL: 2003 Oldenburg mare by Quidam's Rubin x Dobrock
TODD MINIKUS (USA), Todd Minikus, Ltd: 0/54.51
2. SOLERINA: 1999 Irish Sport Horse mare by Cruising x Diamond Lad
SHANE SWEETNAM (IRL), Sweet Oak Farm: 0/56.05
3. ZIDANE: 2004 KWPN gelding by Sam R x Sable Rose
PETER WYLDE (USA), Windward Farm & Jessica Suida: 0/56.68
4. LANSDOWNE: 2003 KWPN stallion by Guidam x Wolfgang
CONOR SWAIL (IRL), Ariel & Susan Grange:0/57.58
5. UNEX OMEGA STAR: 2002 Irish Sport Horse stallion by Quick Star x Quatoubet du Rouet
TIM GREDLEY (GBR), Unex Competition Yard: 0/58.17
6. ROUNDTHORN MADIOS: 2002 Irish Sport Horse gelding by Condios x Clover Hill
LAUREN TISBO (USA), Tequestrian Farms, LLC: 0/59.04
7. V: 2002 KWPN gelding by Landstreicher Lennard
KATIE PRUDENT (USA), Michael Smith: 0/59.20
8. WATCH ME VD MANGELAAR: 2003 KWPN gelding by Heartbreaker x Wolfgang
DARRAGH KENNY (IRL), Samantha Tuerk: 0/67.62
9. LISONA: 2001 Irish Sporthorse mare OBOS Quality 004 x Porsch
DARRAGH KERINS (IRL), Marten Hugens & Darragh Kerins: 0/69.37
10. CARMINA: 2003 Holsteiner mare by Cassini I x Zuenftiger
ANDREW BOURNS (IRL), Tequestrian Farms, LLC:0/69.80
11. AMOR VAN DE ROSTAL: 2000 BWP gelding by Peter Pan x Nimmerdor 147
MAC CONE (CAN), Chadburn Holdings Inc: 1/72.31
12.CHEVALIER: 2002 Westphalian gelding by Cornet Obolensky x Carnaby GL
LORENZO DE LUCA (ITA), Michael Collins: 1/73.91