Kalvin Dobbs and Winde Top $15,000 Artisan Farms Young Riders Grand Prix Presented by Dutta Corporation in Association with Guido Klatte
RELEASE: February 11, 2013
AUTHOR/ADMINISTRATOR: Lauren Fisher and Laura Cardon for Jennifer Wood Media, Inc.
Kalvin Dobbs and Winde (Sportfot)
- Sunday's competition began in the morning with a win for 17-year-old Kalvin Dobbs, of Carmel, IN, aboard Treesdale Farms' Winde in the $15,000 Artisan Farms Young Rider Grand Prix. The class, presented by the Dutta Corporation in association with Guido Klatte, saw 39 entries jumping the course set by Bob Ellis. Nine went clear to advance to the jump-off, and Dobbs and Winde breezed through the short course in 41.928 seconds for the victory. Chloe Reid and Damascus placed second in 42.385 seconds. Lillie Keenan and Chansonette Farm, LLC's Londinium were third in 43.015 seconds.
Kalvin Dobbs is trained by Abigail Blankenship as well as Olympian Laura Kraut, and purchased Winde from Kraut after she showed the mare two years ago. Winde is a ten-year-old KWPN mare by Numero Uno x No Limit. She is a very energetic, forward ride, and Dobbs explained that she has taken some getting used to.
Watch an interview with Kalvin Dobbs
"She is just so much fun," he stated. "She has so much energy and she is by far the hottest mare that I have ridden, so it has definitely taken some time to figure her out and get used to that. I have had a lot of slow jumpers before her, but she knows what she is doing every step of the way, so when we are together it is so much fun. I love showing her and we have really gotten to know each other over the past two years."
"Her ride has definitely been different for me," Dobbs continued. "The number one thing that Laura has been trying to teach me is to let her do what she wants to do and you just concentrate on the next jump and what you are doing. That has been hard for me when she kicks back and cross canters and stuff like that. I have to try to keep my focus and I think it has made me a better rider because then with other horses, if there is anything going on, I am able to just ignore it and move on and make the best of the situation."
It took a fast, accurate ride to win in the jump-off. Dobbs described his plan, stating, "The jump-off just seemed like a horse race to us. It was so many singles and that is her favorite thing to do, just gallop and get it right out of stride, so my plan was just to guide her, shave off those turns, get that time off and keep the gallop going. That is exactly what she did."
This is Dobbs' third year competing in the young rider grand prix series and he enjoys the opportunity to improve his riding. "I love it. I think it is awesome for us to be able to come down here and do these big competitions with lots of good riders," he declared. "They have the team competition week nine and I just think that is an excellent opportunity. This is the first year that I have been able to stay down here and get more training, so I am just kind of soaking it up and getting as much as I can. I love that they offer this young rider series."
A special award was also presented to young rider Katherine Strauss for Best Turnout at the jog for Sunday's class. Strauss won a pair of ARIAT paddock boots for her efforts.
Final Results: $15,000 Artisan Farm Young Rider Grand Prix
1. WINDE KALVIN DOBBS TREESDALE FARMS: 0/0/41.928
2. DAMASCUS CHLOE REID CHLOE D REID, LLC: 0/0/42.385
3. LONDINIUM LILLIE KEENAN CHANSONETTE FARM, LLC: 0/0/43.015
4. KING OF HEARTS CHLOE REID CHLOE D REID, LLC: 0/4/43.373
5. VATRICIA NAVONA GALLEGOS BAR X RANCH, LLC: 0/4/44.682
6. LITTLE LADY D'ELLE SYDNEY SHULMAN BACK COUNTRY FARM: 0/8/40.154
7. PUMPED UP KICKS LILLIE KEENAN CHANSONETTE FARM, LLC: 0/8/40.748
8. CASALL IV ALI WOLFF BACKLICK BEND FARM: 0/8/44.833
9. UBICO H GABRIELLE BAUSANO GABRIELLE BAUSANO, INC: 0/EL
10. EVERYTHING KELSEY THATCHER PONY LANE FARM: 4/69.509
11. WETTER CATHERINE TYREE CATHERINE TYREE: 4/72.447
12. COSMA 20 ABIGAIL MCARDLE DAVID MCARDLE: 4/72.771