2008 BMO Nations’ Cup Welcomes Olympic Medalists to Spruce Meadows
RELEASE: September 4, 2008
AUTHOR/ADMINISTRATOR: By Jennifer Ward
The richest team show jumping event in the world, the $350,000 BMO Nations' Cup, takes place on Saturday, September 6, at Canada’s premiere show jumping event, the Spruce Meadows Masters Tournament near Calgary, Alberta.
“In the wake of the 2008 Beijing Olympics and Canada’s Silver medal in the team jumping competition, this year’s event should be more exciting than ever,” said Bill Downe, President and Chief Executive Officer of BMO Financial Group. “We are privileged to have such an impressive roster of international teams competing at the BMO Nations’ Cup, and show jumping fans, including all of us at BMO, will be treated to a feast of equestrian prowess."
The roster of national teams includes:
· Canada—2008 Olympic Silver-medal team and BMO Nations’ Cup Winner in 2006
· Germany—BMO Nations’ Cup Winners in 2003, 2004 and 2007
· Great Britain—Ten BMO Nations’ Cup wins—more than any other country—and Bronze-medal Winners at the 2007 European Championships
· Ireland—Three-time winners of the BMO Nations’ Cup, including back-to-back victories in 2000 and 2001
· Italy—Have never before won the BMO Nations’ Cup
· Norway—Making its BMO Nations’ Cup debut
· Switzerland—Have never before won the BMO Nations’ Cup
· The Netherlands—Gold-medal Winners at the 2007 European Championships and 2006 FEI World Equestrian Games
· United States—2004 and 2008 Olympic Champions and six-time BMO Nations’ Cup winners
The BMO Fan Centre, located in the Plaza Terraces, is being launched this year to create an even more thrilling fan experience. Fans can visit the BMO Fan Centre between September 3 and 7 to meet Ian Millar, Eric Lamaze and other competitors, obtain an autograph, receive a BMO Nations’ Cup Team Canada flag, and have their photo taken with the BMO Nations’ Cup trophy and horses. Visitors to the BMO Fan Centre can also enter for a chance to win 10,000 Air Miles Reward Miles.
As the founding sponsor of Spruce Meadows, BMO Financial Group has a long and proud history of supporting equestrian sport in Canada. Since 1977, BMO has sponsored the BMO Nations’ Cup at Spruce Meadows, attracting the top international show jumping teams to Canada.